Sunday, June 20, 2010

Where I've been

Last week I had the chance to travel to Maine on a business trip. My husband couldn't go along, so I turned it into a bit of a personal retreat. The fact that it was the week directly preceding my birthday made it a perfect time for reflection.

I always prefer to have Todd with me, but I also realize I tend to depend on him a lot to navigate us through unfamiliar situations. It was good to remind myself that, while having someone to depend on is a lovely luxury, I can manage on my own when I need to.

Everything you've heard about the beauty of Maine is absolutely true. It was a lovely trip. I'll definitely be going back -- and taking Todd with me next time. Here are just a few of the hundreds of photos I took.

Portland. This public park slopes down to the water. People were there walking their dogs and lying in the sun. Heaven.


  
Wiscasset, just before the clouds broke.


Boothbay Harbor


Boothbay Harbor


 
Along Route 238 on Capitol Island.


Cape Elizabeth


The view from Cape Elizabeth -- that's Portland in the distance.


  
Another view of the Cape Elizabeth lighthouse. There's a marker here on the stone where Longfellow sat to write "The Lighthouse." Note the little sailboat between the rocks.


And of course, the lobster. One of several I had while there. I have equal parts pleasure and guilt over this. In the moment it was mostly pleasure.


1 comment:

  1. Beautiful pictures. I felt the same when when I took a business trip to Rhode Island a few years ago. Thanks for triggering some of my own wonderful memories!

    ReplyDelete